My sister talked me into joining Pinterest a couple months ago so she could send me recipes. She sends recipes she thinks I’ll like – pumpkin everything – and recipes she wants me to make for her. So this week, when she went back to work after having an adorable baby girl two months ago, I wanted to make her one of the recipes she’d sent. Chicken and Noodle Casserole sounded really good for that day. I knew I could make it ahead and reheat. Since I’d be watching my amazing new niece, make ahead was a necessity – you never know how much attention a two month old will require! Unfortunately, the recipe she sent called for condensed soup and sour cream. I don’t use condensed soup and I was out of sour cream. I went to a few of my trusted recipe sources only to either get nothing or another recipe with condensed soup. I searched for a recipe with no condensed soup and found one at cleverlyinspired.com.
It was a great starting point. I needed to add onion and veggies and use approximately six times the pasta but it turned out good.
- 12 oz Whole Wheat Egg Noodles, cooked al dente
- 3 (4 oz) chicken breasts, poached and diced or two cups from a rotisserie
- 6 TBSP butter
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cup chicken broth*
- 1.5 cups milk*
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
*Measure out broth and milk in the same measuring cup. It makes adding the liquid easier!
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Poach and dice chicken. *Poaching tips – my method, thekitchn’s method
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain and set aside
- Return pasta pot to stove over medium heat. Add butter and olive oil.
- When butter is melted add onion and sauté until soft.
- Stir in flour. Cook 2 minutes
- Add milk and broth – A SPLASH AT A TIME – stirring after each addition until thick. After all the liquid is added add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook sauce 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, chicken and frozen veggies. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes; until browned.